About Palm Desert
Palm Desert is a thriving Southern California city known for its stunning desert landscapes and outdoor recreational opportunities such as luxury resorts, golf courses, and spas. It’s also recently gained notoriety as an increasingly popular filming location due to its range of diverse terrains and vibrant light. From feature films to television series, and dramatic music videos to commercial advertisements, filmmakers have found Palm Desert to be an ideal backdrop for their production and content needs.
The year-round sunny weather and diverse landscape make it an ideal place to shoot various scenes. Not only is the area visually interesting, but it also offers multiple climates nearby—the wildlife-filled Santa Rosa National Park is just a short drive away from the sunny downtown Palm Desert. Palm Desert has become such a sought-after filming location that Game of Thrones fans may recognize it from Season 7’s re-creation of the Dothraki Sea!
Whether you're looking for a place to film your next project or want to enjoy some sunny weather, Palm Desert is worth a visit.
Filming Options in Palm Desert
- Photography & Videography
Hiring a professional photographer and videographer can be a great way to ensure your film looks polished and high-quality. Photographers and videographers can help to direct your shots and capture all the crucial moments during filming.
- RV Rental
RV rental is an excellent option for those who want to film in Palm Desert. If you're planning on traveling to multiple locations for your film, renting an RV can be convenient. This option also gives you more control over the filming process and the flexibility to move around the city, as you can choose the locations.
- Props and Equipment
If you're not experienced in filmmaking, renting props and equipment can be a great way to get started. Palm Desert has a variety of props and equipment available for rental. This includes items such as furniture, appliances, and even costumes. This option is excellent for those who want to create a specific look for their film by using professional-grade equipment and avoiding having to purchase your own.
- Makeup and Hairstyle
Hiring a makeup artist and hairstylist can help your actors look their best on camera. This option can help to create a cohesive look for your film and make your actors stand out on screen.
Filming Vendors in Palm Desert
- Isning Multimedia
Isning Gamez has always been passionate about using video to tell stories and express ideas. He dreamed of taking this knowledge and helping businesses become more successful. Through dedication and hard work, Isning LLC is now the most successful video production company in Southern California. The firm provides various services, including corporate video production, infomercials, marketing videos, video testimonials, company, and personal branding, headshot photography, and graphic design. Isning thinks that it's not just his technical abilities but his capacity to listen and comprehend his clients' demands that have allowed him to develop a brand as successful as Isning LLC.
- Surf City RV
Surf City RV is a rental company that knows a lot about motorhomes and RVs as well as where to go in California for some fun! They enjoy sharing their local knowledge with customers to make their rental experience as memorable as possible. They are incredibly flexible, offering both short- long-term rentals. They will deliver and set up the RV in a local spot for your daily use or a pre-reserved space for overnight camping. They are also happy to accommodate after-hour arrivals and departures.
- Props AV
Props AV is the perfect choice for any event in Southern California. They offer a wide range of music, video, and lighting options to make your event unforgettable. They have been DJing for over 20 years and have a wealth of experience producing spectacular events. Props AV is a family-owned business, so they care about making your occasion perfect. When you book with Props AV, you can be sure they will go above and beyond to make your event unforgettable.
Pros and Cons of Filming in Palm Desert
Palm Desert, California is one of the most popular locations for filming, due to its varied landscape, dramatic backdrops, and proximity to Los Angeles. While it can be an ideal spot for filming projects, various considerations should be taken into account when deciding whether or not to rent a location in Palm Desert. Below are some of the pros and cons associated with filming in this area.
- From the rugged terrain of Joshua Tree National Park to the picturesque desert oases found throughout the region, filmmakers have access to an array of distinct locations all within proximity.
- One of Palm Desert’s main attractions is its tax incentives—productions that spend at least $1 million in the county can qualify for up to six percent back on goods and services purchased during production.
- There is no shortage of accommodations or other amenities near Palm Desert, making it easy to house cast and crew while they’re filming in the area.
- The local population is very supportive of film projects, meaning it's easy to find extras and another talent that will be willing to help out with your movies.
- Although temperatures are generally mild year-round, summers can be quite hot which can make it difficult to shoot outdoors during certain points in the day.
- The area around Palm Desert isn’t particularly walkable or filled with many public transportation options so you may need to rent vehicles if the cast and crew need transportation during their stay.
- The cost of living in California is higher than in most states, so rentals tend to be more expensive compared with other states that offer similar services.
- Filming permits can take longer to acquire compared with other areas due to certain government restrictions and regulations that must be followed when shooting in residential areas or public parks.
Tips on How to Organize Filming in Palm Desert
Finding the right filming locations in Palm Desert can be a tricky task for any production crew. To ensure that all necessary preparations are complete, here is a list of helpful tips on how to get the job done quickly and easily.
- Check for power: Make sure that the area you plan to film in has adequate power outlets and sufficient lighting for proper shooting conditions. This can help save time on set-up and allow for smoother camera movement during filming.
- Look for hazards: Scope out potential hazards such as desert insects, dust storms, and extreme temperature changes throughout the day so proper precautions can be taken if needed.
- Bring extra equipment: Bring along extra equipment such as reflectors and scrims to deal with harsh sunlight that can occur in the area. Additionally, consider having different types of clothing items to provide wardrobe options if needed due to weather changes during shooting days.
- Have a Plan B: Have an alternate backup plan in case of sudden adverse weather such as rain or sandstorms that might affect your schedule or equipment. Consider renting an indoor space close by if an unexpected issue arises during filming.
- Bring plenty of water: Have plenty of water available on set since temperatures in Palm Desert can reach above 100 degrees Fahrenheit during certain times of the year. Additionally, have food options available for cast and crew members who might need them throughout the day’s shoot.
- Do some test shoots: Do a test run of any shots you plan on taking beforehand so you know exactly what’s required from each scene as well as what props are needed ahead of time.
- Allow plenty of leeway when it comes to wrapping up scenes: Don’t rush through shots but also monitor your budget closely so you don’t end up overspending due to unnecessary overtime costs or miscellaneous expenses.
Famous Locations in Palm Desert
- Coachella Valley Vista Point
If you're looking for breathtaking views of the California desert, add the Coachella Valley Vista Point to your list. This scenic overlook is located in the heart of the Coachella Valley and offers stunning panoramas of the surrounding mountains and valleys. Visitors can also take in views of the famed Salton Sea, which is just a short distance away. Even if you're not a fan of deserts, Vista Point is worth a visit for its sheer beauty. And if you are a desert lover, you'll be in awe of this natural wonder. So whether you're a local or just passing through, check out the Coachella Valley Vista Point.
- Historical Society of Palm Desert
The Historical Society of Palm Desert is the perfect place to learn about and explore the history of the Palm Desert. With tours of an old adobe house, chapel, and cemetery, as well as a replica Indian village on-site, there's plenty to see and do. The knowledgeable staff is more than happy to answer any questions. Overall, if you want to spend some time learning about Palm Desert's past, this is most definitely the place for you!
- The City of Palm Desert Hovley Soccer Park
Soccer is a great way to get exercise and have fun, and the City of Palm Desert Hovley Soccer Park is a great place to play. The park has two regulation-size soccer fields, a playground, picnic tables, and a concessions stand. The fields are well-maintained and perfect for a pick-up game or a serious match. There's also plenty of parking, so you don't have to worry about finding a spot. The park is open daily from sunrise to sunset, so there's always time to get in a game; so whether you're a seasoned player or looking to try something new, head down to the City of Palm Desert Hovley Soccer Park and enjoy some good old-fashioned fun.