Moorpark is a city located in the southeast corner of Ventura County, California. With a population of 35,000 and an area of 17.7 square miles, Moorpark is notable for its stunning views of the surrounding mountains, lush landscaping, and picturesque setting. The weather in Moorpark is mild and temperate year-round with temperatures ranging from the low 50s to the high 70s, making it an ideal shooting location for films and television shows.
For film shoots looking for green grassy hills or locales set against the backdrop of rugged terrain, Moorpark offers the perfect mix of urban and rural landscapes. Not only do filmmakers benefit from the natural beauty of the area, but they can also take advantage of nearby attractions such as historic downtown Moorpark—complete with restaurants, cafes, and shops—or explore one of many parks in town that provide stunning backdrops for outdoor scenes.
In addition to its aesthetic charm, there are plenty of other benefits to filming in Moorpark, namely its convenient location between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara and easy access to highways and freeways that allow production teams to travel quickly between shooting locations without sacrificing quality time on set. Furthermore, Moorpark boasts a variety of soundstages that are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment to ensure high production value regardless of budget size.
Overall, Moorpark is an ideal place to film movies or television shows owing to its diverse landscape and convenient accessibility.
Film Shoot Options in Moorpark
- Production Company
When choosing a production company, it is important to consider their experience and track record in the business. It is an added plus if the business comes equipped with all the necessary gear needed to produce your film. Besides the actual shoot, most production businesses in Moorpark also offer scriptwriting, casting, and post-production services.
- Equipment Rental
To produce a film, it is necessary to rent equipment from a rental company. This includes cameras, lighting, and sound equipment. You can rent equipment from many Moorpark local vendors which have everything you need to make your film shoot a success.
- Catering Services
It is important to have food and drinks available on set for the cast and crew. Numerous catering services in Moorpark will provide a variety of food options and drinks to keep your crew fueled up for a hard day’s work.
To create a specific look for the film, it is necessary to rent props and theme-specific attire from a costume company. Several Moorpark costume rental businesses offer diverse selections of costumes and props to help bring your film shoot to life. From period pieces to contemporary styles, they have everything you need for your project.
- Makeup and Hair Artist
When organizing a film shoot, it is important to find makeup and hair artists who have experience performing character transformations. Selections of salons and beauty stylists in Moorpark provide professional makeup and hair services for film shoots and other special events.
Film Shoot Vendors in Moorpark
- FEGO Cinematography
FEGO Cinematography is a video production company that specializes in producing captivating videos, persuasive commercials, and immersive films. They believe in the art of narratives, and their mission is to assist you in telling your story most compellingly. FEGO Cinematography walks with clients through the entire filming process, from concept development to capture and post-production.
- Command Performance Catering
Command Performance Catering is in the business of providing unforgettable culinary experiences and smooth service. With 30 years in the food service industry, the company has mastered what it takes to cater parties, weddings, corporate functions, and other milestone occasions.
- Spyke Beauty
Spyke Beauty is a professional hair and makeup salon located in the heart of downtown Moorpark. They specialize in glamming up clients for weddings and proms and providing special event styling services.
Pros and Cons of Film Shoot Locations in Moorpark
Below are some of the most notable advantages and disadvantages of film shooting locations in Moorpark:
- Picturesque scenery: Moorpark has a variety of scenic backdrops that are perfect for creating visually stunning scenes for any type of movie or TV show.
- Accessibility: In comparison to other nearby towns, Moorpark is easily accessible from major cities such as Los Angeles and Ventura County.
- Low-cost lodging: Since Moorpark is usually not a tourist destination, hotels and motels within the area tend to be quite inexpensive.
- Unique architecture: Many buildings throughout the city have unique architectural features (e.g., Spanish-style homes) which make it ideal for period pieces or contemporary settings that are looking for an old-world charm.
- Limited shooting locations: The town of Moorpark is relatively small, meaning there are fewer available shooting locations than in larger cities.
- Unpredictable weather: Despite having a Mediterranean climate, Moorpark experiences sudden shifts in temperature and occasional storms which can cause delays or even cancellations of shoots.
- Noise pollution: Due to the presence of active farms, as well as a nearby military base, noise pollution from both animals and airplanes can potentially interfere with sound recording during filming.
Tips on How to Organize Film Shoots in Moorpark
When planning a film shoot, it is important to consider all the factors that will affect the production. Below are some tips on how to film in Moorpark:
- Research the permitting requirements for shooting in Moorpark: Familiarize yourself with local ordinances and regulations regarding filming within the city’s boundaries. Reach out to local officials or organizations that handle permit processes to ensure that all necessary paperwork is completed and approved before your shoot takes place.
- Establish a solid plan of action: Compile a detailed list of all tasks, equipment, personnel, and timelines needed for the shoot to be executed efficiently and effectively. Consider developing a storyboard ahead of time for visual reference during the production process.
- Choose an appropriate shooting location: Identify locations throughout Moorpark that meet your requirements for the shoot and make sure you reserve them in advance by obtaining any necessary permits or permissions from property owners.
- Find reliable professionals and vendors: Connect with industry contacts who can provide quality services such as camera operators, production assistants, editors, catering companies, and more based on your needs. Ask around for referrals or research potential hires online using sources like the Producers Guild of America directory or IMDbPro database.
- Stay organized on set: Ensure that everyone involved in the shoot keeps their workspace clean, organized, and orderly by following safety protocols and adhering to established guidelines provided before filming begins. Have supplies at hand such as water bottles, snacks, first aid kits, extra batteries, etc., so there are no unexpected delays due to lack of preparation or resources during principal shooting days.
Famous Locations in Moorpark
- Moorpark Farm Center
The Moorpark Farm Center does more than simply provide shoppers with fresh, locally sourced produce. It offers a place to unwind, with themed events to attend during the springtime, fall harvest, and Christmas holidays. Visitors can also buy specialty gifts and products like fruit baskets, making it the perfect one-stop destination for all your shopping needs!
- Tierra Rejada Park
Tierra Rejada Park is an eight-acre haven with playgrounds, picnic pavilions, basketball and tennis courts, and bocce ball courts. Families with young children love the park because of its amenities. The multi-use fields are also great for a game of Frisbee or catch. No matter what your interests are, Tierra Rejada Park has something for everyone.
- America’s Teaching Zoo (Moorpark College)
When most people think of zoos, they envision a place with caged animals on display. However, America's Teaching Zoo is quite different. This five-acre facility serves as a classroom for students enrolled in the Exotic Animal Training and Management Program. The Teaching Zoo is not only an educational resource for the Moorpark community but also a recreational attraction for people of all ages. Visitors can expect to see zebras, tigers, tortoises, and many other animals up close.