About Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids, Michigan, is a vibrant and diverse city along the Grand River. It has a thriving music, beer, and food scene that attracts locals and tourists alike. The city has various exciting attractions, from museums to outdoor recreation spots. There are plenty of interesting places to explore, including an array of historical sites that tell stories about Grand Rapids’ past. You can experience all four seasons in this city too from beautiful snowfalls in December to hot sunny days in August.
No matter what kind of video shoot location you need, whether it is an outdoor park-like setting or the inside of a regal mansion, Grand Rapids has a variety of venues you can choose from. And you will have no trouble finding vendors to help you with what you need from catering companies to makeup and hair artists. Whatever you are looking for in Grand Rapids, you will find it if you look around. The natural beauty of Grand Rapids is one of its major selling points when it comes to filming projects here. With so much beauty within its borders, this city is fast becoming one of America's top video shoot locations!
Video Shoot Options in Grand Rapids
- Makeup and Hairstyle Artists
No video shoot can be complete without the actors and models looking their best. While many are naturally stunning, there are flaws that good-quality cameras pick up quite quickly. Makeup and hair artists should be hired for the shoot. These specialists will cover everything from natural to timid, dynamic, red carpet, or other sophisticated styles in hair and makeup.
- Photography and Videography
Photography and videography services are vital components of video shoots. Grand Rapids offers a variety of small and large businesses that can provide high-quality services. Since the weather in the city is quite unpredictable, it is best to hire local photographers and videographers to capture the natural light and scenery.
Music is an essential element of any video shoot. Grand Rapids has several music vendors that can provide the perfect setting for your production. You can find whatever you need, from live bands and recording studios to DJs.
- Equipment Rentals
Equipment rentals are essential for video shoots. The vendors in Grand Rapids are experienced, have dealt with different filming needs, and will supply all of the necessary equipment for your video shoot. These businesses provide everything you need to achieve professional-looking results, from cameras to lights.
Video Shoot Vendors in Grand Rapids
- Carbon Stories
Carbon Stories is a film and video production media company that specializes in telling stories and sharing experiences via a wide range of media, including but not limited to photography, videography, graphic design, and print. Carbon Stories strategically promotes and creates content that helps clients. Their incredible team includes talent specializing in solving issues by telling compelling stories for ad copy and print media. They focus on what should be highlighted and communicated for the client's objectives to be met, based on the target audience's demands.
- Alpine Rent All & Sales
At Alpine Rent All & Sales, they are committed to being a trusted partner for whatever you face. They have served Grand Rapids for over 50 years and have built a reputation for quality products and outstanding customer service. Alpine Rent All is known for its quality of chairs, tents, tables, and service staff. They also assist with long-term rentals for film sets, scenes, and video-on-location with their quality, trusted products. Their service staff have years of experience and are used to special requests for furniture, equipment, lighting, and more customization.
- Martha's Catering
Martha's Catering is a fantastic choice for anyone needing assistance with their event planning. Based out of Grand Rapids, they have been catering to premier functions for over twenty years. They have gained comprehensive experience with events both big and small, indoors and outdoors, corporate or personal. Martha's Catering offers many services to make your corporate meeting, filming venture, shooting, wedding, or small gathering a success. Services offered include catering, renting party equipment, and planning the menu with you to make sure it is personalized and meets all of your needs.
Pros and Cons of Video Shoots in Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids is a city in West Michigan known for its picturesque views and rich culture. It is the perfect destination to shoot videos, whether it’s for a personal project or professional work. Here are some pros and cons of shooting videos in Grand Rapids.
- Grand Rapids offers abundant natural beauty and stunning landscapes with lush greenery and open fields.
- Plenty of historical sites throughout the city make it easy to find exciting backdrops for your projects.
- Grand Rapids is home to an excellent film infrastructure, which includes several production companies with access to top-of-the-line equipment and experienced professionals who can help you with any technical issues you may have when filming in the area.
- When it comes to finding accommodation and transportation, Grand Rapids has you covered— there are plenty of hotels and rental car companies available at reasonable prices, so you don’t have to worry about budgeting too much while planning your shoot location.
- The weather in Grand Rapids can be unpredictable. If you decide to shoot outdoors, check the forecast before heading out for the day.
- Depending on where you decide to film in Grand Rapids, noise pollution or other distractions could disrupt your video shoots—keep this in mind when selecting a location.
- In some regions of the city, parking can be somewhat limited. If you're bringing a lot of gear with you during filming days, ensure there's enough space available so your crew won't have trouble loading up their equipment after every take.
Tips on How to Organize Video Shoots in Grand Rapids
Organizing a video shoot in Grand Rapids is no small task. With the exploding popularity of film and television production, there are more and more opportunities for content creators in Grand Rapids. To help you get started on your shoot, here are some tips on how to organize video shoots in Grand Rapids:
- Research your location: Before shooting your video, research the area you’re filming. You should know what resources exist and whether they may be available for your shoot.
- Utilize filming locations: Grand Rapids provides several permitting options for filmmakers who need space to film or photograph. You can use these locations as backdrops for your project or scout other places around town that fit your needs.
- Secure permits: Depending on where you’re filming, it's essential to get all necessary permits ahead of time. Failing to have the required visas could result in fines or even legal action if the police become involved.
- Get your crew ready: It’s essential to ensure everyone involved with the project knows what to do and when they should arrive on the set day of the shoot. Make sure everyone has read through the script so they understand how each shot will look like and can anticipate where changes need to be made during editing later on down the road.
- Rehearse shots beforehand: Before actually starting filming on the set day of the shoot, ensure that everyone has practiced their lines several times beforehand so there won't be any surprises when it comes time to get started with setup and shooting! This way, all shots will run smoothly and not require too much adjusting while filming. This could waste valuable time while shooting outdoors or within a tight timeframe indoors due to light restrictions or other environmental conditions.
- Have an emergency plan: It's always wise to plan just in case something goes wrong while shooting outdoors or indoors due to unexpected weather conditions or technical issues with equipment or audio/visual setups used during filming sessions.
Famous Locations in Grand Rapids
- Grand Rapids Art Museum
The Grand Rapids Art Museum is a fabulous place to experience art and culture. Not only does this Museum have the unique honor of being the first LEED Gold Certified Art Museum, but it also boasts a permanent collection of more than 6,000 works of art. The collection includes paintings, prints, photographs, decorative arts, and sculptures from prehistory to the 20th century. The Grand Rapids Art Museum is a beacon of art in an art-loving city. It connects and inspires people through its exhibitions and programs. The Museum has something for everyone, from casual visitors to specialists. It also constantly introduces new things to see and enjoy, so check its website before you go.
- Grand Haven State Park
If you're looking for a beautiful place to watch a sunset, Grand Haven State Park is the perfect spot. Situated on the shores of Lake Michigan, the park offers stunning views of the water and the surrounding area. You may even be treated to an incredible sunset if you're lucky enough to plan your visit during the late summer months. In addition to its scenic views, Grand Haven State Park is also home to a lighthouse, which makes for another excellent photo opportunity. Grand Haven State Park has it all! Grand Haven State Park should be your first priority if you want to de-stress on the beach or learn more about the park's other activities.
- Mount Pisgah
Mount Pisgah is a must-see for any nature lover visiting the Holland area. With its 157-foot apex, the boardwalk offers stunning views of Lake Michigan, Lake Macatawa, and Big Red. The best way to experience Mount Pisgah is to take the Black Lake Boardwalk East from Ottawa Beach Road. The public parking lot is well-marked and easy to find. Once you're on the boardwalk, take your time to enjoy the sights and sounds of nature. Be sure to watch the many birds and wildlife that call Mount Pisgah home!