About San Mateo
San Mateo, California is a city located in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a long and rich history. It was incorporated in 1894 and since then has been an integral part of the Bay Area. The area was originally inhabited by Native Americans who lived off of the bounty of the land. In the mid-1800s, Spanish settlers came to settle in San Mateo County and began to farm the land which would eventually become San Mateo.
In recent years, San Mateo has become increasingly popular with filmmakers thanks to its diverse terrain which offers excellent backdrops for shooting movies or television shows. Creative content production is made easy in San Mateo, a bustling city full of film companies and post-production facilities. The picturesque landscape offers the perfect backdrop for many genres; from parks to beaches or downtown streets, your vision will come alive with ease! Not to mention, the range of venues available for filming. San Mateo is truly an amazing place with a unique history that is reflected in all aspects of life here — from culture to economics — making it an ideal filming location for any project! Its close proximity to some of Silicon Valley's leading tech companies also makes it a great place for any filmmaker looking for cutting-edge technology when crafting their projects!
Filming Options in San Mateo
- Film Production
San Mateo is an enchanted city that houses numerous film production companies ready to lend their expertise from pre-production to post-production. Plus, they also come with added amenities such as location scouting and equipment rental — even crew management.
- Equipment Rental
San Mateo is a haven for production companies and content creators, with many equipment rental services available. From camera rentals to lighting kits and sound systems — these businesses provide the necessary tools for any project.
Production companies and content creators in San Mateo have access to multiple cleaning vendors offering specialized services, such as onsite location cleanup, set cleansing, and equipment maintenance.
Filming Vendors in San Mateo
- Level 2 Productions
With a decade of video production experience between them, Nick and Jared are the founders of Level 2 Productions — an award-winning company that specializes in helping businesses bring their visions to life through high-quality video content. From start to finish they make sure that the process is smooth and stress-free, no matter if you're a small business or a multi-national company. Their global success has seen them work with some of the world's biggest visionaries, creating lasting partnerships along the way.
- Joshua Charles Catering
Joshua Charles Catering acknowledges the importance of providing your filming crew with proper nutrition and sustenance. That's why they offer complete management & catering solutions tailored specifically to the needs of filmmakers. They start by discussing your budget before creating customized menus for you to choose from. Once you select the dishes that fit your dietary needs, the experienced staff will help ensure that every part of your dining experience is excellent.
- San Francisco AV Rentals
At San Francisco AV Rentals, they pride themselves on making top-notch audio and visual equipment available to everyone. No matter the size of your event — whether it's a karaoke party for ten or a corporate meetup for 1,000 — they will have precisely what you need. Furthermore, their deliveries extend throughout the entire Bay Area! Their team of passionate audio and visual experts have years of experience and are dedicated to providing outstanding customer service. San Francisco AV Rentals pride themselves on the ability to provide high-quality equipment at a fraction of the cost of other rental companies.
Pros and Cons of Filming Locations In San Mateo
San Mateo is an ideal filming location for filmmakers seeking to capture the beauty and uniqueness of California. With its rolling hills, coastal towns, vibrant urban areas, and stunning views of the Pacific Ocean, San Mateo allows directors and cinematographers to create truly unique visual experiences. Here are some pros and cons of using filming locations in San Mateo:
- San Mateo is incredibly diverse when it comes to locations; with its rolling hillsides, coastal towns, vibrant urban areas, and stunning views of the Pacific Ocean, filmmakers have plenty of options to choose from when creating their vision.
- The area has excellent transportation links, making it easy for cast and crew to get around when shooting on location.
- The cost of production in San Mateo tends to be lower than other popular filming locations in California; giving filmmakers the opportunity to produce high-quality films at a fraction of the usual cost.
- With beautiful weather year-round, filming in San Mateo during warmer months ensures you get an amazing shot every time without dealing with inclement weather conditions.
- The high demand for filming locations in the area can make it difficult to secure the perfect spot for your project. This can lead to delays and additional expenses as you search for alternative options.
- When shooting in public areas or other locations where you are not the property owner, there may be restrictions or permits required.
- Lastly, the busy and crowded streets of San Mateo can also pose a challenge for filming, as interruptions and unexpected noise can disrupt the process.
Tips on How to Organize Filming Locations In San Mateo
Creating an incredible film can be a thrilling and fulfilling experience, but it all comes down to the details. To make your shoot run as smoothly as possible, you'll want to ensure that your filming location in San Mateo is meticulously organized and prepared ahead of time. Here are some helpful tips for getting started:
- Make a List: The first step is to list all the locations you need, including both indoor and outdoor spaces. This will help you to stay organized and ensure that you don’t forget any key locations.
- Scout Locations Early: Once you have your list, start scouting locations early, so you have plenty of time to secure the best spaces. Remember that popular sites may book up fast, so don’t wait until the last minute to start looking.
- Get Permission: Always ensure permission from property owners before filming on their property. This includes both private residences and businesses. Failing to obtain consent can lead to fines and other legal complications.
- Be Flexible: Filming locations can often change at the last minute, so be prepared to be flexible and adaptable. Have alternate locations ready just in case something goes wrong with your original choices.
- Stay Organized: Finally, keep track of all your filming locations in San Mateo using a spreadsheet or other organizing system. This will help you to avoid any missed opportunities or scheduling conflicts.
Famous Locations in San Mateo
- Pulgas Water Temple
For those looking for a peaceful oasis outside of the city, the Pulgas Water Temple is a must-see. Built in the early 20th century, this monument was designed to celebrate the completion of the Hetch Hetchy water project. Although it shares many similarities with the Palace of Fine Arts, the Pulgas Water Temple is far less crowded and offers stunning views of the Crystal Springs wilderness. Visitors can wander around the reflecting pool or sit on one of the benches to enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
- The Coyote Point Recreation Area
Coyote Point Recreation Area is the ideal spot for families and individuals seeking outdoor recreation in the Bay Area. The serene 670-acre park has so much to offer, from fishing and swimming to hiking, and boating, and its most beloved amenity — a medieval-themed playground! On any given weekend, you'll find a multitude of people laughing, playing, and simply basking in all that this dynamic sanctuary has to offer.
- Central Park
As one of San Mateo's most treasured public parks, Central Park offers a wide array of activities for everyone to enjoy! With gorgeous gardens, playgrounds, and lush greenery in between 5th and 9th Avenues on El Camino Real, its appeal extends from the diesel train that delights kids all the way up to adults who can use it as an area to get fit — with yoga classes or aerobic exercises. Those looking for sports facilities won't be disappointed either; you will find basketball courts, tennis courts, and baseball diamonds within the park too! And if you're after something more serene then don't forget about Leon — a copper-plated life-size giraffe statue residing there forever.