Kalamazoo is a medium-sized city located in southwestern Michigan. It is situated along the Kalamazoo River, and some of its notable topography includes a series of hills that rise sharply from the valley.
Known for its history as a paper industry pacemaker, the city benefits from its diverse economy. Its major industries include healthcare, manufacturing, and education. “Paper City” is also home to several cultural institutions, including the Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra and the Heritage Guitar Company.
The city's mild climate and central location make it an ideal filming location for various projects. In addition, Kalamazoo offers a variety of meeting and event venues alongside stunning places that are well-suited for hosting film-centric functions. From historic theaters to modern conference centers, Kalamazoo has the perfect setting for any photo shoot.
Film Shoot Options in Kalamazoo
- Film Production Companies
The film production companies in Kalamazoo are ready to help you film your video production. Production firms can handle the logistics and staffing needs of your project while also taking care of day-to-day operations. Leaving the heavy lifting to the professionals allows you to focus on directing your film or sourcing for funding to get the production on its feet.
- Makeup Artists
With many experienced makeup artists in Kalamazoo, you're guaranteed to find a skilled professional to work on your film shoot. They all have different skill sets and it comes down to whether you need simple touch-ups to complete character transformations or special effects looks. No matter your film's genre, the right makeup artist will masterfully get your cast ready for the screen.
Food is required for any film shoot, and catering businesses in Kalamazoo can provide food for your cast and crew. Look no further if you're searching for a catering firm in Kalamazoo that can prepare delicious meals, offer timely service, and provide lists of other food-related services.
Lighting companies in Kalamazoo can assist with the process of illuminating your film shoot. Whether you only need set up service, lighting design, or help to operate the lighting equipment; the film rental companies in Kalamazoo have your back.
Film Shoot Vendors in Kalamazoo
- Rhino Media
Whether you have a ready script or just an idea; Rhino Media is the production company in Kalamazoo you want to work on your project. The team specializes in creative development, idea generation, concept development, storyboarding, scripting, and motion design. Their range of services also extends to video production, photography, digital deployment, and ad placement.
- Millennium Catering & Events
A well-fed crew and cast equate to a productive team, and Millennium Catering & Events can provide that much-needed energy boost through the delectable meals they supply. While their event specialty is primarily weddings, their catering services extend to various events, including film shoots in Kalamazoo.
Rentalex is a full-service rental firm in Kalamazoo that provides high-quality event solutions. They know that your event represents you and are prepared to curate an unforgettable experience. The company supplies tents, tables, chairs, tablecloths, china, and catering equipment, most of which come in handy when setting up film shoot sets.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Film Shoot Locations in Kalamazoo
Several things are worth considering when choosing a film shoot location in Kalamazoo. As you put your ducks in a row, here are some aspects worth considering when searching for Kalamazoo as a filming location:
- The city has a diverse economy, meaning that diverse businesses operate in Kalamazoo and you can equally access the varied facilities needed to spring your film shoot to life.
- For the better part, Kalamazoo experiences a mild climate, making it an ideal filming location for outdoor shooting.
- The city is ethnically diverse, and if your film project requires several actors, you are assured of capturing the unique Kalamazoo vibe on the screen.
- Kalamazoo is a small city, and the downtown area gets particularly congested. It’s worth noting when scouting for filming locations.
- The city does not have an international airport, making travel difficult for crew members outside the United States.
- Your film crew will have to navigate the city’s slow pace, which can often lead to delays, and sometimes have to reschedule shoots.
Tips on How to Organize Film Shoot Locations in Kalamazoo
With its wealth of historical landmarks and scenic natural attractions, Kalamazoo is a worthwhile filming location for your next project. However, shooting a film in Kalamazoo can get challenging if you're not organized. Here are tips that could help you structure your film shoot in Kalamazoo:
- Do your research: Before you start locking down filming locations, take some time to familiarize yourself with Kalamazoo's history and attractions. This will help you narrow your choices and find familiar sights to work with, which are always a hit on the screen.
- Start early: The sooner you start the pre-production process, the better. This will give you ample time to secure the best locations, hire a talented crew, and get the necessary permits.
- Work with a local production company: Locals always bring on board insider knowledge and beneficial tips in navigating the lay of the land.
Famous Locations in Kalamazoo
- Kalamazoo Mall
The Kalamazoo Mall is a historic pedestrian walkway dating back to 1959. It was one of the first outdoor malls in Michigan and the United States' first outdoor pedestrian mall. Several city blocks collectively make up the Kalamazoo Mall, and the complex houses diverse stores, restaurants, bars, and other businesses. Don't miss out on seeing the Kalamazoo Mall when exploring the downtown area.
- Kalamazoo Nature Center
The Kalamazoo Nature Center is a haven of natural beauty with more than 1,100 acres to explore. Ponds, prairies, forests, marshes, and more can be found there. The numerous walking and hiking trails crisscrossing the site present visitors with opportunities to discover all of its mysteries at their leisure. The tracks are labeled with difficulty to ensure that novices don't end up where they shouldn’t and that experts enjoy a challenging experience. Nothing beats relaxing among the butterflies and dragonflies around one of the Nature Center’s ponds on a hot day.
- Kalamazoo Public Library
The Kalamazoo Public Library offers a variety of lectures, classes, workshops, and other programs. It is a beautiful structure that houses a vast collection of books and other historically significant reading materials. In addition to the book nooks, history rooms, and state-of-the-art computer labs, the Library also hosts book clubs and live readings. One of the most popular features is the digital media lab dubbed The Hub, where visitors can enjoy everything from podcasting to preserving vintage vinyl records. Anyone interested in learning more about books should visit the Kalamazoo Public Library.