Providence is a vibrant and interesting city, with a unique mix of history, culture, and modern attractions. Located on the East Coast of the United States, Providence is one of the oldest cities in the country; it was founded in 1636 by Roger Williams as an "experiment in religious freedom," and soon developed into a vital port city with strong ties to both New England and the Caribbean.
Today, Providence is home to more than 180,000 people—a diverse blend of students from Brown University and RISD, working professionals taking advantage of Providence's growing tech industry, and families who have settled in this beautiful corner of New England for centuries. It's no wonder that locals proudly refer to their city as "The Creative Capital."
But there is more to this city than meets the eye. Providence is also an entertainment destination, with something for everyone's party needs. With its array of historical buildings and scenic waterfront locations, Providence offers countless unique event venues just begging to host unforgettable celebrations. From grand halls with vaulted ceilings to nineteenth-century lofts or even rooftop terraces throughout the city boasting views of downtown Providence and Narragansett Bay, you are sure to find something that fits your taste and style.
Party Options in Providence
- Floral Arrangements
Adding floral arrangements around the venue can bring life and color to a room in a way that nothing else can. Experienced floral designers can create beautiful and unique centerpieces or bouquets that will complement any occasion or setting used for a celebration.
- Entertainment/DJ Services
Finding appropriate entertainment for your party is essential if you want it to be memorable. Hiring a DJ or live band provides music throughout the night, creating energy for guests to dance and socialize. With a DJ, you can customize what kind of music is played throughout the night so that everyone finds something they enjoy.
- Photo Booth Rental
A photo booth rental offers unique pictures for guests to help them capture special memories from the event. They also provide props such as hats and glasses, as well as backdrops in various colors, allowing people to have fun with their photos.
Party Vendors in Providence
- Soundwave Event Productions
Soundwave Event Productions is a New England-based event DJ dedicated to providing experienced, professional DJ and MC services at great prices. Established in 2017, the company is led by the experienced Corey—a DJ and MC with over 10 years of experience in event DJing. With an expansive selection of music styles from modern pop to classic rock, EDM to rap, and country to Latin music, Corey's expertise ensures any event will be memorable and tailored for guests. Corey's personable and professional attitude allows him to serve as host and emcee for all occasions; ensuring entertaining announcements, crowd involvement, and an enjoyable atmosphere throughout the night.
- Wren Floral Design
Wren Floral Design is a Rhode Island-based sister duo of passionate florists, who offer unique and sustainable blooms for events and weddings in both Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Drawing their inspiration from nature, they specialize in creating whimsical and romantic displays that showcase the natural beauty of every flower and plant. With an extensive knowledge of local growers and wholesalers, they are able to source high-quality, fresh materials seasonally. Working closely with their clients, Wren Floral Design aims to bring each vision to life, while delivering their signature style that ensures beautiful arrangements that will make any occasion special.
- Luxe Booth Co.
Luxe Booth Co. is a premier open-air photo booth company in New England, providing high-quality services for events of all sizes. The company strives to make your event memorable with its customizable backdrops, prints, and hashtag capabilities. Its professional technicians come prepared with an array of props, such as glasses, masks, and confetti, to add extra fun to the occasion. Once the event has finished, Luxe Booth Co. will post a digital gallery of all photos taken for guests to download in high quality. A growing selection of props and cutting-edge designs ensure that each experience with Luxe Booth Co. is unique and enjoyable for all involved.
Pros and Cons of Parties in Providence
Providence, Rhode Island is known as the “Creative Capital” of New England. From cozy house parties to large-scale gatherings, planning a party in this city can be both rewarding and challenging. Here are some of the pros and cons of throwing a party in Providence:
- Providence is home to some of the best nightlife in New England. With lively bars, great restaurants, and vibrant clubs, there’s plenty of entertainment for guests to enjoy.
- It is conveniently located within driving distance from major cities such as Boston and New York City making it easy for out-of-town guests to attend your party.
- The city offers beautiful waterfront views which make for great photo ops or outdoor activities during the day or evening.
- Due to limited space downtown, many venues require advance planning and bookings far ahead of time in order to secure them as potential event locations.
- Parking can be difficult in downtown Providence due to limited parking spaces and high rates at nearby garages/lots. This could be especially problematic if you’re expecting a large number of guests at your party.
- Noise ordinances in the city are strict so it’s important to keep music volume levels at reasonable levels before 10 pm on weekdays and midnight on weekends.
Tips on How to Organize Parties in Providence
Organizing a party in Providence can be a fun and rewarding experience, as long as it is done correctly. Having a successful event involves more than just setting a date and inviting guests. Here are some key tips for ensuring your next party is successful.
- Choose the Right Venue: One of the most important steps is selecting a suitable place for your celebration. Consider factors like size, theme, price range, amenities, and other elements that will affect the outcome of your event. When possible, inspect the venue before booking to ensure it meets all of your needs.
- Guest List: A carefully-curated guest list is important in order to accommodate everyone's expectations. Think about whom should be invited and how many people you can accommodate at your chosen venue before sending out invitations.
- Select Appropriate Snacks & Drinks: Make sure to provide food and drinks that appeal to all of your guests, so that everyone has something they can enjoy throughout the evening. It's always a good idea to have some non-alcoholic options, as well as healthy options, for those who do not drink alcohol or prefer lighter fare.
Famous Locations in Providence
- Roger Williams Park
Roger Williams Park is a beloved retreat in the heart of Providence. Originally a farm donated by Betsey Williams to the city in 1871, the park spans a beautiful 435 acres and boasts scenic waterscapes, bridges, and even a gazebo-like bandstand that is a favorite of swans and ducks. Visitors to the park can find forest copses, broad lawns, picnic grounds, the Planetarium and Museum of Natural History, greenhouses, and Williams' cottage. The park's crown jewel is the Roger Williams Park Zoo, home to over 600 animals, including polar bears, giraffes, and lemurs.
- RISD Museum of Art
Located within the prestigious Rhode Island School of Design in Providence, lies the state's leading museum of fine and decorative art — RISD Museum of Art. This top attraction boasts an impressive collection of artwork, spanning from ancient Greek art to 20th-century American paintings and decorative arts. The Museum's five buildings offer student-curated exhibition space, as well as new 20th Century galleries with a delightful mixture of painting, furniture, textiles, and fashion created by some of the most famous artists of the time.
- Federal Hill
Federal Hill is a historic neighborhood in Providence that boasts a strong Italian influence. With a concentration of Italian eateries, including soulful pizza, pasta pesto, chicken cacciatore, and more, it's the perfect destination for foodies looking to indulge in traditional Italian favorites. Upon arrival, visitors are greeted by a massive arched gateway adorned with a bronzed pinecone, marking the entrance to this charming Little Italy. Visitors can enjoy the annual restaurant week in July or the Federal Hill Stroll in June to sample the culinary delights of participating restaurants. But that’s not all this charming district has to offer. Art galleries, chic boutiques, and even a few Chinese restaurants also find their homes here.