Located in Tennessee, at the headwaters of the Mississippi River, Memphis is an energetic city with plenty to explore. This vibrant birthplace of rock 'n' roll is rich in culture, history, and music, delighting residents and visitors.
Being the birthplace of many famous musical legends such as Elvis Presley and B.B. King, Memphis is an ideal place to kick back and enjoy live music. Music fans come from near and far to experience live performances on Beale Street or participate in one of the many festivals that happen here year-round, whether a celebration of African-American cultures like Juneteenth or a lively Mardi Gras parade. With its southern charm and vibrant atmosphere, Memphis is a popular destination for all celebrations.
Memphis knows how to put on a show! You can find some unique venues downtown, including rooftop bars overlooking the river or historic theaters showcasing vintage Art Deco architecture. There is the right birthday party venue in Memphis that offers the kind of atmosphere you want for your next milestone celebration.
Birthday Party Options in Memphis
Hiring an event decorator transforms any venue into a festive place. Most vendors offer a wide range of options, including balloons, streamers, banners, confetti, and other items that will make the event look more attractive. This service also creates a unique atmosphere for each event and gives guests something fun to look at while celebrating.
- Custom Cake
Bespoke cakes made by talented confectioners offer an elegant way to celebrate life's milestones - birthdays included! Various companies offer custom designs that fit any theme perfectly, such as cartoon characters, animals, sports teams, logos, or even favorite TV shows! These custom cakes look incredible on display but taste even better, making an excellent treat.
A photo booth adds an element of fun to any event, allowing guests to take pictures with props in front of a backdrop. Event rental companies offer interactive photobooths with touchscreens, allowing users to add filters and effects before printing their photos as souvenirs.
- Party Favors
Uniquely designed party favors are an excellent way to thank guests for attending a birthday celebration and make them feel appreciated. Party favors such as personalized gift bags or boxes filled with goodies make perfect keepsakes for every guest at the party. It shows how much you care about their attendance while giving them something to take home.
Birthday Party Vendors in Memphis
- My Sweet Dreamz Bakery
My Sweet Dreamz Bakery is a home-style bakery located in Memphis, TN. They provide freshly baked treats and custom cakes for every occasion. Their specialty is semi-sweet American and Swiss Meringue Buttercream Cakes, and they custom-make all their cakes. My Sweet Dreamz also offers southern-style holiday cakes, homemade traditional desserts, and the Decadent Dessert Bar for a memorable birthday celebration. Customers can choose from coordinating sweet treats to add flair to any candy table or dessert bar.
- Pop Culture Memphis
Pop Culture Memphis is a full-service event decor company based in the Memphis Metro area that specializes in creating unique and customized decorations for parties, weddings, showers, bar/bat mitzvahs, birthdays, and more. Founded by Brittany Schwaigert, a professional with over 20 years of experience in the large-scale event industry, Pop Culture Memphis offers custom balloon garlands, helium balloons, streamer rentals, backdrops, centerpieces, and more to bring any event to life.
- Hotshots Photobooth
Hotshots Photobooth supplies modern open-style photo booths, offering gorgeous lighting, beautiful backdrops, custom-designed prints, props, and unlimited on-site prints for everyone. In addition to their state-of-the-art photobooths, they also provide roaming and event photography services for capturing those spontaneous moments that happen throughout an event. Customers can access all photos from the event via a secure gallery uploaded to the website with the ability to download them.
Pros and Cons of Birthday Party Venues in Memphis
Memphis, located in the South of the United States, is known for its music history and delicious Southern-style cuisine. With a diverse range of attractions, restaurants, nightlife, and shopping centers, the city is an exciting setting for a birthday party. Before deciding on hosting a birthday party in Memphis, consider both the advantages and disadvantages.
- Located along the Mississippi River, Memphis is easy to access from surrounding states with its major highway systems and airports.
- Memphis has plenty of tourist attractions, such as the iconic Graceland estate, the Liberty Bowl Stadium, Beale Street Historic District, Mud Island River Park, and many more to keep guests entertained throughout the party.
- The city offers an extensive selection of delicious world cuisine, including Mexican-inspired dishes and classic barbeque.
- With so many people visiting Memphis each year, there can be congestion during peak travel times, which may add additional stress when planning transportation routes for your guests.
- Its location in an inland state, travel times can be longer than in coastal cities, which could make attending a birthday celebration more difficult for far-away guests.
- Hot and humid summer days make it hard to host outdoor birthday parties during peak months (June-August).
Tips on How to Organize Birthday Parties in Memphis
Planning a birthday party in Memphis can be a great way to celebrate a special occasion with friends and family. To ensure that your next party goes off without a hitch, here are tips you should consider when organizing your big event.
- Select a Location Wisely – Consider the size and type of gathering. If it is a large bash with many guests, look for venues that have ample space and easy access from all sides, like auditoriums or ballrooms. However, if it is an intimate gathering with just a few close family members or friends, opt for cozy restaurants with private dining areas.
- Choose Appropriate Decorations – A great way to make your birthday celebration stand out is by choosing appropriate decorations for your venue. Think about the theme and pick colors and decorations that match it. You can also add balloons, streamers, banners, and other festive elements around the venue to create an inviting atmosphere for your guests.
- Have Fun Activities Scheduled – Plan fun activities like games or music performances. It could be anything from competitive board games to karaoke or dance competitions! Ensure everyone has something they can join in on so no one feels left out.
- Include Tasty Food Options – Food is essential to any gathering, so ensure you have plenty of delicious options at your party. Serve snacks like ice cream sundaes or mini cupcakes for dessert and savory dishes like pizza slices or veggie platters for those who prefer heartier fare.
- Prepare For Any Contingencies – Lastly, stay flexible during events and prepare for unexpected weather changes or technical difficulties with sound systems. Preparing backup plans ensures that everything will go smoothly, even if there are minor hiccups.
Famous Locations in Memphis
- Big Kids Sculptures
The Big Kids sculptures in Memphis are a unique addition to the public art scene. Created by Rhodes College students in 2011, these low-to-the-ground statues help trail-goers relax as they walk or bike along the V&E Greenline. Each figurine has flower planters installed in its head, which gives the sculpture colorful hair when in bloom. Despite their size, the sculptures are unmarked and unobtrusive, blending seamlessly into the surrounding grass and foliage. These mysterious sculptures can be tricky to spot from the road, but they are easy to find by walking along the green line.
Graceland, the former home of Elvis Presley and a must-see destination in Memphis, Tennessee, is a fascinating example of 1970s ostentation. Born in Mississippi, Elvis spent most of his life in Memphis and purchased the colonial-style mansion in 1957. After its $100,000 purchase, he heavily redecorated the home - adding a 15ft couch, fake waterfall, yellow vinyl walls, and a green shag-carpet ceiling. Today, visitors can hop on a shuttle from the $45-million entertainment complex and visitor center Elvis Presley's Memphis to explore the home and its grounds. The property has been open for tours since 1982 and is a popular pilgrimage destination where people pay homage to the King of Rock and Roll.
- W C Handy House Museum
The W C Handy House Museum is a historically significant attraction located on the corner of 4th St. The modest shotgun shack once belonged to the renowned composer known as the 'father of the blues.' W C. Handy was a pioneering musician who transposed the 12 bars and wrote the iconic 'Beale Street Blues' in 1916. Visitors can gain insight into the life and work of this musical legend by taking a docent-led tour of the exhibits on display. The museum provides a fascinating glimpse into musical and cultural history.