The city of Indianapolis, Indiana, is a vibrant, culturally diverse, and historically rich place with plenty to explore. It boasts a bustling downtown area full of museums, galleries, and trendy shops. One particular draw for art lovers is the diverse selection of art shows available in the city.
Art shows bring together artists from around Indiana and beyond to showcase their pieces in galleries and other public venues. Featuring some of the state’s best talent, these shows display everything from landscape painters to mixed-media sculptors. In addition to showcasing outstanding works from up-and-coming talent, art shows in Indianapolis create jobs while bringing attention to local entrepreneurs who specialize in creating unique pieces like handmade jewelry or custom furniture pieces that can’t be found anywhere else in the world.
Through its vibrant culture and dedication to fostering creativity through its annual art shows, Indianapolis continues to promote artistic expression and support young creatives statewide as they continue on their creative journey.
Art Show Options in Indianapolis
A professional DJ can provide the mood-setting music you need to fill the walls at your chosen art show venue. Once your showcase is complete, they can turn the tempo up and play an upbeat playlist to get guests on their feet.
- Props Rental
More than likely, you are working with a theme that distinguishes the pieces on display. While setting up the art show space, it helps to add a few props into the mix to set the ambiance and draw attention where you want it. Prop houses in Indianapolis have catalogs of rental items including display cases, drapery, and costumes.
Lighting enhances the artwork on display by highlighting certain perspectives. The illumination also enhances participatory experiences and it is also a creative tool used to showcase light painting and LED installations. A lighting technician can help you set up and operate the necessary equipment.
- Backdrop Rentals
Backdrops transform an art show space into the desired atmosphere. They double up decorative installations while also serving the purpose of dressing up what would be otherwise bare walls. They also cover up unsightly cords or block surfaces for projection mapping.
- Event Rentals
Most art show spaces come as blank canvases which come to life once you add your artwork and other functional items. More than likely, you might need the services of an event rental company in Indianapolis to source chairs, tables, linens, projectors, and screens.
Art Show Vendors in Indianapolis
- Chef Jenny Fox
Jenny Fox is a personal chef who creates custom menus for her clients. Whether you want an In-home meal prep service or a corporate dinner, Chef Jenny takes the stress out of the meal preparation process. She has worked in the hospitality industry for over 20 years and has experience catering to people with food allergies and picky eaters.
- Blooms By Dragonfly
Blooms by Dragonfly is a floral business that offers fresh-cut bouquets for every occasion, with weddings being their specialty. They also provide floral displays and arrangements for bridal showers, baby showers, and business events. They also have a Main Street location in Zionsville where they sell Mud Pie, Jellycat for kids, and other items.
- Nerdy Fox Rentals & Designs
Nerdy Fox Rentals & Designs offer décor rentals services for all occasions so that you can have the party you desire without breaking the bank. Their inventory includes everything from arches and centerpieces to furniture and decor items. For personalized consultation services, their team is happy to assist.
Pros and Cons of Art Show Spaces in Indianapolis
Indy is a great place to be an artist. The city offers a variety of art show spaces that can accommodate small-scale exhibitions and performances. However, it is crucial to have a few considerations in mind before making your ultimate decision.
- The town has several unique art show spaces around the city, reflective of the city’s distinct neighborhoods. From Fountain Square to Meridian-Kessler; the options are endless.
- For the most part, Indy enjoys pleasant weather conditions. The city also has selections of outdoor art show spaces.
- The four interstates that pass through town and the Skywalk system make it easy to navigate the city.
- Traffic peaks during rush hour and holiday weekends. Have this aspect in mind when locking down an art show space for a specific timeframe.
- The city’s public transit system isn’t dependable, and your guests will have a more comfortable experience if you take care of the logistics.
- Settle for an art show venue that is properly winter proofed and accessible. The city receives inches of snow that hampers movement and makes conditions dreary.
Tips on How to Organize Art Shows in Indianapolis
Art shows provide an excellent opportunity for artists to exhibit and sell their work. However, organizing an art show isn't a walk in the park. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Choose an appropriate venue for the type of work you will be displaying: If you have a vast collection of fragile pieces, get a space that factors these aspects.
- Promote your show: Create flyers and post them around town, and use social media to reach even more potential art lovers.
- Price your work appropriately: Consider the cost of materials, time spent on each piece, and the current market value of similar artworks.
- Take good care of your space during the show: Keep it clean and well-lit, and be available to answer any questions potential buyers may have.
Famous Locations in Indianapolis
- Eagle Creek Park
The Park is a gorgeous place to appreciate a day out with the family. With over 3,900 acres of land and 1,400 acres of water, there is plenty of space to explore. The hiking, running, and biking trails are great for getting some exercise - and fishing in the big lake or on the small pond will keep the kids busy.
- Circle City Industrial Complex
The Circle City Industrial Complex is a large, multi-use facility in Indianapolis near the east side. The complex, which covers more than 560,000 square feet, houses many tenants, including artists and industrial businesses. On the first Friday of each month, the CCIC is open to the public for guided visits. On these nights, galleries and studios display the works of both local and national artists.
- Athenaeum ArtSpace
The Athenaeum ArtSpace is a free monthly gallery that is open to the public. It occupies the second-floor lobby of the Athenaeum Theatre on Massachusetts Avenue. Independent artists and group exhibitions are shown at The ArtSpace, located in Mass Ave's trendy area. The Athenaeum also houses a Biergarten, fitness center, and theater that holds various cultural events throughout the year.