Melbourne, the capital of Victoria and the second-most populous city in Australia, is a vibrant, cosmopolitan, and culturally diverse metropolis with a unique sense of style. Founded in 1835, it is renowned for its exquisite architecture, tree-lined boulevards, and eclectic bar scenes.
The city's strategic location on the coast of Port Phillip Bay makes it ideal for those seeking a great quality of life with access to entertainment, cuisine, and activities from all around the world. But Melbourne is more than just a fun destination; it has become one of the most business-friendly cities in Australia. With its strong financial sector and a vast range of venues suitable for both large and small corporate gatherings, Melbourne is a top choice for corporate event planners.
From open-plan meeting spaces in the CBD to gorgeous heritage venues in historic laneways — Melbourne offers plenty of choices when it comes to picking an event venue that reflects your company's style. The region surrounding Melbourne is just as awe-inspiring; filled with rolling hills, rugged coastline, and quaint wineries that are perfect for team-building exercises or company retreats. With its diverse range of activities, world-class venues, and beautiful scenery, Melbourne is definitely one of the best places on Earth to host any kind of corporate event.
Corporate Event Options in Melbourne
- Audio/Visual Service Providers
Audio/visual (A/V) service providers are necessary for larger-scale corporate events where projecting presentations or videos may be needed for maximum engagement from attendees. A/V services provide access to microphones and projectors which makes it easy for presenters to deliver their speech with clarity throughout the entire venue space.
Finding reliable transportation is essential for corporate occasions, especially if the venue you’re using is far from the city centre or airport. Hiring a reliable transportation service that can pick up and drop off attendees in a timely manner ensures no one gets lost on their way to the destination.
- Photography Services
A photographer can capture special moments of the meeting and provide guests with souvenirs in the form of photos or videos that will remind them of the good times had at your corporate event long after it is over. Photographers can also document team-building activities, which can be shared among employees afterwards for review.
Corporate Event Vendors in Melbourne
- MAV Melbourne
MAV Melbourne is a professional audio-visual specialist with more than 20 years of experience in providing high-quality services for corporate clients. They are renowned for their strong relationships with leading hotels and corporate customers in Victoria and have provided services to over 30 venues across the state. MAV is dedicated to ensuring that their clients' event needs are met, supplying them with advanced presentation visual aids such as projectors, monitors, video walls, 4K HD screens, touch screens, and sound components like microphones and speakers that create a surround sound effect. Their team combines years of technology, production expertise, and creative experience to deliver every client's desired outcomes.
- GAZi Event Photography
GAZi Event Photography is a highly experienced and professional photography service that has operated for over 25 years both within Australia and abroad. Specialising in event photography, GAZi has serviced numerous corporate and private events, product and book launches, trade shows, and workshops. The company has been a preferred photographer for the VRC at Flemington Racecourse for over a decade and has established itself as the go-to provider of professional business photographs, headshots, branding, and corporate profile services.
- Ontime Corporate Cars & Chauffeur Hire
Ontime Corporate Cars & Chauffeur Hire is a well-established Melbourne-based chauffeur service that has built a reputation for excellence in the industry. With access to a fleet of over 60 luxury vehicles, including high-end sedans like the BMW Seven series and the Mercedes S class, Ontime can comfortably seat anywhere from one to four passengers, along with their luggage. These vehicles boast plush leather interiors, air-conditioning, reading lights, and even mobile phones to keep you connected on the go. No matter what the occasion, Ontime can cater to your needs, whether you require airport transfers or sightseeing tours. With 24/7 coverage across Melbourne and beyond, Ontime is always available to provide top-quality chauffeur services whenever you need them.
Pros and Cons of Corporate Events in Melbourne
Corporate events offer a unique opportunity to foster strong relationships between key stakeholders, incentivize employees, and promote company objectives. While such events can be successful in Melbourne, they come with some challenges. Here are the biggest advantages and disadvantages of organizing corporate events in this city.
- Proximity to many corporate centres: As the capital of Victoria, Melbourne has plenty of corporate centres nearby that can provide resources for organizing events.
- Impressive infrastructure: With highly developed public transport and telecommunications systems, getting around and communicating with clients’ base is easy.
- Lots of venues to choose from: From large event spaces to smaller function rooms, there are many options available when planning corporate functions in Melbourne.
- Weather unpredictability: Unfortunately, the weather can be unpredictable and could affect your plans for outdoor activities or cause unexpected delays at airports due to fog or strong winds.
- Limited parking availability: Parking can be difficult in busy areas, so it’s important that you plan ahead and book spots well in advance if they are needed.
- Strict regulations for venue hire: There are strict laws governing what type of activities can be held at venues which may cause complications when planning large-scale events on short notice.
Tips on How to Organize Corporate Events in Melbourne
Corporate events are important occasions for businesses, fostering team building, networking, and brand recognition. However, the task of organizing such an event can be daunting without having the proper guidance. To help make it successful, here are some tips you can follow to ensure everything goes smoothly:
- Designate a leader: Have one individual responsible for the entire event. This person will be in charge of delegating tasks and roles to all involved parties and making sure that nothing is missed along the way.
- Put together a timeline: Keep track of deadlines and different phases of the project from start to finish with a detailed timeline. Make sure that everyone knows their role and when tasks need to be completed in order to ensure timely delivery of the occasion.
- Consider your venue wisely: The venue is a key factor in any successful occasion; it should be well-equipped with amenities like audio/visual equipment, Wi-Fi access, and plenty of space for all attendees. In addition, check that it is located conveniently near public transportation or parking facilities so that everyone can get there easily.
Famous Locations in Melbourne
- Shrine of Remembrance
The Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne stands as an impressive monument to the Victorians who served their country in times of war and peacekeeping. Built between 1928 and 1934, the shrine's stoic, classical design reminisces the ancient Mausoleum of Halicarnassus. The Galleries of Remembrance below the shrine house over 800 historical artefacts and artworks dedicated to telling the story of Australians at war. The upper balcony of the shrine offers panoramic views of Melbourne's skyline and a bustling Swanston Street. It is a poignant reminder of the sacrifices made by many and is a must-see for visitors seeking to appreciate Melbourne's history.
- State Library Victoria
State Library Victoria is a neoclassical building that has been an integral part of Melbourne's literary community since 1856. The pride and joy of the library is the La Trobe Reading Room, featuring a world record-breaking, six-story-high, reinforced-concrete octagonal dome that illuminates ornate plasterwork. Galleries located throughout the library offer free exhibitions that showcase Victorian artifacts, notable photographs and paintings from the Library's collection, and books from different ages. The library's World of the Book exhibition even includes a 4000-year-old Sumerian cuneiform tax receipt. Visitors can also check out the Cowen Gallery and South Rotunda, which display highlights of photographs and paintings from the collection.
- Parliament House
Victoria's Parliament House is a grand symbol of pride and optimism from the gold-rush era. Brides and protesters alike flock to the iconic steps of the building, while the interiors burst with ornamental plasterwork, stencilling and gilt. Visitors can take tours through the Lower and Upper Houses, as well as the library. Knowledgeable guides illuminate fascinating design features and the symbolism behind much of the ornamentation. Finally, visitors can enjoy a high tea experience, which includes scones, pastries, finger sandwiches, and a glass of sparkling wine served in a beautifully crafted, timber-clad setting.