The Hardaway Cottage is located on the grounds of the historic Roosevelt Institute for Rehabilitation. It is within walking distance of the little white house and bordered by the Roosevelt State Park. The house occupies a 1.7 acre lot with no other homes visible. From the front of the home you can see beautiful stands of hardwood trees that include oak, pine, and dogwoods. On the grounds is an original fire pit. In the spring thousands of irises are in bloom. The back of the home is bordered by the Roosevelt State Park.
Mrs. Rebecca M. Hardaway purchased two lots from the Meriwether Reserve in 1929 from the Roosevelt Institute for Rehabilitation. In 1933 the construction of the main home and the garage and servants quarters were completed as established by the publication The Polio Chronicle (July, 1933) and the specifications for erection of residence for Mrs. B. H. Hardaway. The contractor and architect were Mr. H. W. Nicholes and Mr. M. W. Nicholes of 549 Peachtree Battle Avenue, Atlanta, GA more than likely father and son.
Main Home Description
The original structures still present on the lots include the main house, the garage/servants quarters and the stone entrance all of which were completed in 1933. The main house is a two story Georgian style structure. The home is built on a stone foundation with a basement. It is a brick home painted white in the Georgian tradition. It includes a sun porch with the original arched window, a formal living room and dining room, and kitchen on the main floor. On the second floor are three bedrooms and two bathrooms. The bathrooms have their original tile. Present in the home is a rope pulled Sedgewick elevator that was installed at the time of construction. Other original features present in the home are the white oak floors, the mantel and fireplace, slate roof, the staircase, the light fixture on the mantel, the tile in both upstairs bathrooms, wood trim and moldings in multiple locations.
Sometime during the 1940s a handicapped accessible bedroom, bathroom and closet were added to the ground floor of the home. The kitchen was expanded which eliminated the breakfast room. There is one original closet/pantry in the kitchen. Unfortunately, no other original features from the kitchen are present. But the handicapped bedroom contains tile of the period and some of the original fixtures.
The guest house and garage are still present. The interior of the guest cottage has been altered. It appears that the garage doors, flooring, and fireplace are original.
Constructed much later in 1996 is a large garage and office.