Manchester is a city that lies at the heart of England, with deep-seated cultural and historical roots. From its industrial beginnings to its current vibrant cityscape, Manchester has something for everyone. There’s always something new and exciting happening in this northern metropolis—whether it be experiencing a cultural event or a night out in the city’s bustling bars and clubs.
The music scene in Manchester is known throughout the world and has been steadily growing for decades. Legendary bands such as Oasis, The Smiths, Joy Division, The Stone Roses, and New Order all have strong ties to this great city. From events on the local pub scene to some of Europe's biggest festivals, there are countless opportunities for people to see their favourite artists perform live in Manchester.
The city also provides a great selection of venues for organising concerts—from intimate acoustic sets in cosy cafes to large stadium shows. These venues range from historic locations like The Ritz which have welcomed iconic musicians such as David Bowie and The Rolling Stones, to modern concert hall settings like Albert Hall which offer an array of international programs. With so much variety available right on your doorstep, planning a concert in Manchester couldn't be easier!
Concert Options in Manchester
- Sound/Equipment Rental
Sound rental companies provide professional sound systems and equipment for concerts. These services range from providing basic PA systems to providing more complex audio solutions depending on the needs of the concert venue. Having a quality sound system can make all the difference in making sure that each note rings out loud and clear during the performance.
- Lighting Technician
A lighting technician is responsible for designing lighting setups for performances according to specifications provided by artists or directors. They may need to program effects using lighting consoles or software programs from multiple angles to create a dynamic atmosphere. Lighting technicians work closely with sound engineers to ensure that light cues are triggered at specific times during shows.
- Promotion Services
A promotion company partners with artists to create comprehensive promotional campaigns to increase awareness of their music and upcoming events. Services they offer include radio campaigns, press kits, social media outreach, publicity stunts and more. It's important to use these services to ensure that people know about the event before it happens.
- Security Services
Security services are used at many concerts to ensure the safety of both attendees and performers. These companies provide trained staff who are experts in crowd control, as well as managing potential emergencies, such as medical emergencies or fights breaking out amongst attendees. Hiring security can help create a safe environment for any music event so that everyone involved can enjoy themselves without worry or fear of danger.
Concert Vendors in Manchester
- Silverback Events Ltd
Silverback Events Ltd is a leading provider of event crew hire services, having been in the business since 2008. The company has earned a stellar reputation within the events industry for its highly reliable and professional service. From small private gatherings to large corporate events, Silverback's team of experienced professionals provide tailored solutions to each client's needs. They have worked at some of the most prestigious venues across the UK, including ExCeL London, NEC Birmingham, Olympia London, SEC Glasgow, EICC Edinburgh and Manchester Central.
- STS Touring Productions Ltd
STS Touring Productions Ltd is a premier live events company with over 20 years of experience in providing technical and logistical solutions for the entertainment industry. The company provides a full-service package, expertly managing every aspect of live event production, from the backline and PA equipment rental to staffing and logistics. Its portfolio boasts prestigious clients such as Live Nation, SJM, DHP Family, Download Festival, Wireless Festival, and the NBA. Their extensive inventory of backline, PA systems, lighting, and staging equipment is both modern and vintage. They also supply specialist technical crews to world-class sporting events and major music festivals.
- FGH Security
Founded in 2003, FGH Security is an industry leader in delivering private security services. With experience in providing security for many of the world's leading events and festivals—from Bluedot to Boardmasters—the company is committed to raising standards in the UK private security industry. Its services include crowd management, stage security supervision, ticket and wristband checks, escorting people/artists, perimeter patrols, talent management, and more. FGH Security aims to deliver a safe event for guests with industry-leading service and by taking the time to understand their values.
Pros and Cons of Concerts in Manchester
Organising a concert in Manchester can be an exciting experience for both the artist and the fans. However, there are several advantages and disadvantages to take into consideration before committing to this venture. Here we list some of the benefits and drawbacks of hosting a concert in Manchester.
- Manchester is home to one of the most vibrant music scenes in Europe, offering artists an ideal stage to showcase their creativity.
- The city's music venues boast state-of-the-art sound systems and light systems, making it an attractive destination for established tunesmiths looking to make their mark on the industry.
- With its world-class transport links, Manchester is easily accessible from all major cities in the UK, meaning fans have no trouble getting to shows when they’re organised here.
- Thanks to its compact size and bustling nightlife culture, there are plenty of after-show activities available for those who come along to gigs in Manchester.
- Finding accommodation for both bands and crew members at reasonable rates can be hard due to limited availability during peak periods.
- With such a large potential audience, crowd control can become an issue if security measures are not implemented correctly.
- Holding concerts late at night may result in noise complaints from neighbours who live nearby the venue.
- Due to the high demand for music venues in the area, it can sometimes take several months or more to secure the right location for your event depending on availability and capacity restrictions.
Tips on How to Organise Concerts in Manchester
Concerts can be a fantastic way to bring people together and create an exciting experience. However, organising a show in Manchester can be quite tricky and requires careful planning. To ensure that the event runs as smoothly as possible, here are some tips on how to make a concert successful.
- Choose the right venue: When looking for a suitable location, consider factors such as the size of the audience, accessibility, acoustics and aesthetic elements that make up the overall atmosphere. Additionally, make sure to consider the licensing and safety regulations of different locations before booking one to meet all requirements.
- Make sure there’s enough seating: It’s important to remember that not all concerts are going to be standing room only; some may require seating for guests depending on their preferences or needs. Having enough chairs available is key for ensuring everyone’s comfort during the show—this will also help keep people engaged throughout its duration instead of leaving early due to boredom or discomfort.
- Curate an appealing lineup: Successful concerts often feature carefully curated lineups that cater to their target audience’s tastes and interests. Make sure to research local acts to create an attractive selection of artists that will draw in crowds and ensure everyone has an enjoyable experience at your show.
- Promote ahead of time: Once you have chosen a date for your concert and finalised all other arrangements, it is essential to promote it ahead of time so people know about it and can plan accordingly. This could include creating social media posts or distributing flyers informing people about your upcoming event—this could even help you maximise potential profits from ticket sales!
- Ensure proper security measures: Security is always an important factor when organising an event like this, especially when dealing with larger crowds that have gathered in one place for live entertainment purposes. Having trained personnel around will help you guarantee everyone's safety while also preventing any potential disturbances from ruining what should be an enjoyable night out!
Famous Locations in Manchester
- National Football Museum
The National Football Museum in Manchester is a must-visit for anyone interested in football's rich history and culture. Through its many exhibits and displays, the museum offers visitors a window into the evolution of British football from its earliest days to the multibillion-pound industry it is today. This vast archive of football-related artefacts includes items dating back to the early 20th century, certain to captivate visitors of all ages. Particularly engaging is the museum's Football Plus section, featuring a variety of interactive stations that challenge visitors to test their skills in simulated conditions.
- Chetham's Library
Founded in 1653, Chetham's Library is a storied establishment that holds the distinction of being the oldest public library in the English-speaking world. Housed within a building that dates back to 1421, the library is filled with dark shelves that house a wealth of ancient tomes and manuscripts. The collection, which includes over 100,000 texts, has been amassed over many centuries of operation—an astounding legacy that few other public libraries can claim. Perhaps most notably, Chetham's was once the study hall of Karl Marx himself, where he and Friedrich Engels pored over texts in preparation for the creation of the Communist Manifesto.
- Victoria Baths
Victoria Baths is a classic example of Edwardian architecture. Initially designed to be the grandest baths in Britain when they first opened in 1906, the complex was a popular attraction amongst locals. However, by the 1990s, the building had fallen into disrepair and was at risk of being lost forever. Thanks to a competition on the BBC2 reality show, Restoration, the Victoria Baths were saved and have since been restored to their former glory. The Grade II–listed Edwardian classic boasts stunning art nouveau decor, three pools, and a Turkish bath. Weekend tours are available from April to the end of October, allowing visitors to experience the beauty and grandeur of this historic landmark firsthand.