Manchester, often referred to as the “Queen of the North”, is a vibrant and cosmopolitan city that has seen incredible growth in recent decades. Located in the North West of England, Manchester is surrounded by scenic nature and has a rich history stretching back centuries. It is home to many iconic landmarks, from its world-famous football stadiums to its beautiful old factories.
Apart from being a popular tourist destination, Manchester is also becoming an increasingly important business hub. Its excellent transport links and central location make it ideal for meetings of all kinds—from boardroom discussions to conferences and exhibitions. With an abundance of different meeting spaces available, businesses can find everything they need for their events right here in Manchester. From grand old event halls and modern conference centres to unique venues like museums and galleries, whatever your meeting requirements may be, you can be sure that Manchester will have something suitable for you.
In addition to this, the city's impressive architecture provides a stunning backdrop for any event, with award-winning buildings from both ancient times and the modern-day working together to create a truly unforgettable atmosphere. You can also take advantage of the city's array of top-notch entertainment facilities—from restaurants and bars to nightclubs and pubs—making it easy to turn your meeting into an unforgettable experience!
Meeting Options in Manchester
This is a great way to make any meeting or event more special and enjoyable. Companies can provide snacks, drinks, and full meals. It’s an easy way to show appreciation for attendees and make sure everyone is fed and comfortable throughout.
- Professional Sound System
For meetings that involve presentations or speeches, hiring a professional sound system can improve the experience for everyone in attendance. The audio quality is much better than what you could get from a standard laptop, and it allows the speaker’s voice to be heard clearly throughout the space.
- Event Photography/Videography
An experienced photographer or videographer can truly capture the energy and spirit of an event. They will document it in ways that are impossible for attendees to do themselves, as well as provide lasting memories of the occasion.
- Activity Facilitators
An activity facilitator can help breathe life into a meeting or event by providing fun activities such as team-building exercises or interactive workshops that engage everyone in attendance. This helps break up long meetings with something interesting and encourages people to interact with each other in creative ways.
Meeting Vendors in Manchester
- South Catering
South Catering is a professional catering company that provides high-quality, freshly cooked meals across the Greater Manchester area. With an emphasis on nutritionally balanced and diverse food options, South Catering is dedicated to taking the hassle out of looking after your guests or employees. Their production kitchens can create delicious dishes from fresh ingredients and they provide both buffet delivery and help with designing the perfect range of food and drink for any type of event. South Catering's commitment to only using quality ingredients ensures that all of its meals are made with the highest standards in mind.
- PA Hire Manchester
PA Hire Manchester is a premier sound system hire company in the Greater Manchester area, offering excellent audio equipment for events of all sizes. Its range of PA systems includes both indoor and outdoor models which are engineered to provide clear, evenly spread sound that can be heard over any distance. The company also offers lavalier and headset microphones for rent alongside its wireless audio systems, ensuring that your event is as reliable and professional as possible. Its staff is led by owner Steven Thompson, who holds a degree in Sound Engineering and is accredited by the British Safety Council, so you can rest assured that you're in safe hands when working with PA Hire Manchester.
- Photo 8
Photo 8 is a highly respected, professional photography company with more than 16 years of experience. Offering exemplary corporate and private photography services for events ranging from formal dinners and presentations to more candid shots, the team at Photo 8 takes great pride in capturing all special moments as they unfold. Not only can their work be enjoyed immediately through instant printing, but an online password-protected web gallery is also available for their clients to access. With the addition of a mobile studio and two event photographers, Photo 8 are well equipped to exceed expectations every time.
Pros and Cons of Meeting Spaces in Manchester
Manchester is a great place to host a meeting or event, offering vibrant urban areas as well as scenic rural locations. However, there are both advantages and disadvantages that must be considered before deciding to arrange a meeting in Manchester.
- Manchester boasts a wealth of hotels, conference centres, and meeting venues with modern facilities capable of accommodating large or small groups.
- The city is well connected by air with two international airports that provide direct flights from all over the world.
- In addition to over 500 bars and restaurants, there are plenty of cultural attractions and entertainment options to keep delegates engaged during their stay.
- The city centre has been transformed into a pedestrianised area with many new developments which have made it an attractive destination for business travellers.
- Manchester also offers excellent value for money when compared to other cities in the UK, making it ideal for budget-conscious organisers.
- Depending on the time of year and type of event you're hosting, finding suitable venues and services may be more difficult than expected due to limited availability at certain times.
- Manchester’s weather can be unpredictable; wet conditions may affect attendance or cause delays/cancellations for outdoor activities planned as part of the meeting agenda.
- Public transport links may not always be reliable due to ongoing works in the area meaning that traffic can be congested at peak times.
- Although the city centre is generally safe enough, there are certain areas that could pose a risk particularly late at night that should be avoided by delegates travelling alone or in groups after dark.
Tips on How to Organise Meetings in Manchester
Organising an effective meeting is essential to the success of any gathering. In Manchester, there are many venues that can be used for meetings, but it’s important to find the right space that suits the specific needs of the event. Here are some tips on how to create a successful meeting environment in Manchester:
- Create an agreeable atmosphere: It is important to create an environment that feels inviting and comfortable, which can be achieved by providing adequate lighting and aesthetically pleasing decor. Additionally, try to minimise any distractions or disturbances such as loud noises or bright lights that may disrupt the meeting.
- Arrange suitable seating: The seating arrangement should be comfortable and encourage engagement from participants. Consider the layout of chairs to ensure everyone is visible and can communicate easily with each other throughout the meeting.
- Utilise technology: Make sure you have the proper technology in place for your attendees. This could include having access to the internet via Wi-Fi or having a projector available for presentations. Having these pieces of equipment ready beforehand will ensure that your participants feel supported and have the resources necessary for optimal productivity.
- Establish meeting goals: Prior to hosting a meeting, take some time to establish clear goals and objectives that you want to achieve during the gathering. Doing this will provide structure and direction throughout the event while also helping everyone stay focused on what needs to get done.
- Prepare all necessary materials: Make sure you are prepared for the meeting by having all of the necessary materials ready to go. These could include handouts, agendas, or other documents that need to be distributed or discussed during the meeting, so that time isn't wasted during it trying to locate them or set them up correctly.
Famous Locations in Manchester
- People's History Museum
The People's History Museum is a national museum of democracy that focuses on preserving and studying the history of the working people in the U.K. Housed in a refurbished Edwardian pumping station, the museum documents Britain's 200-year march to democracy with exhibits that examine the past, present, and future. Visitors are engaged with displays on "ideas worth fighting for"—a particularly relevant topic given current societal issues. Many compelling interactive displays can be found among exhibits such as Thomas Paine's tiny writing desk and beautifully crafted union banners.
- Alan Turing Memorial
Alan Turing was a brilliant man, whose contributions to mathematics, cryptography and computer science have left an indelible mark on modern technology. His legacy has been honoured with a bronze statue in Manchester's Sackville Park. The statue depicts Turing sitting on a bench, looking contemplative with an apple in his hand, symbolising the tragic end of his life. Turing was a brilliant but controversial figure in his time, and his homosexuality ultimately led to his dismissal from the University of Manchester in 1952. The memorial serves as a reminder of both his groundbreaking achievements and the prejudice he faced as a gay man in mid-20th century Britain.
- St Peter's Square
St Peter's Square is a must-visit location for those exploring Manchester. The square is a large public area where visitors can spend time watching the world go by, while also taking in the sights and sounds of the surroundings. One of the main attractions within the square is the Manchester Cenotaph, which commemorates the city's war dead. The location is also home to the Manchester Central Convention Complex, which is a unique building that was constructed amid the former Victorian railroad station on Windmill Street. This venue hosts numerous musical performances throughout the year and is one of the largest convention centres in England.