Edinburgh, Scotland's capital, is a beautiful city with stunning architecture and a unique landscape. It is most famous for its historical Old Town, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The city has many attractions including Edinburgh Castle, the Palace of Holyroodhouse and the Royal Mile. It also has picturesque gardens and parks as well as museums and galleries.
The city offers a wide range of wedding venues that can be tailored to any desire or budget. From grand castles to small intimate spaces, there’s something for everybody’s dream day in Edinburgh. Not only do you get the beauty of the city itself but you get access to some of Scotland's best culinary delights with amazing local food options available for your big day. Additionally, Edinburgh is home to many entertainment companies that offer quality services such as performers, photographers and music, making it easier than ever before to plan an unforgettable wedding experience in this historic city.
Hosting weddings in Edinburgh gives couples a chance to tie their love story with those from centuries past, making their special day even more memorable. As it is located in the heart of Scotland, it also offers guests easy access from all parts of the country so your loved ones don't miss out on your special day. With its captivating views, rich culture and incredible food, hosting a wedding in this beautiful city will leave couples with everlasting memories that will last forever!
Wedding Options in Edinburgh
- Wedding Planner
A professional wedding planner in Edinburgh can provide invaluable assistance in creating the perfect wedding day experience. They take charge of the organisation and coordination of the entire event, from sourcing suitable suppliers to managing the budget, dealing with contracts, planning timelines and designing creative decorations.
Hiring a skilled photographer in Edinburgh is essential for documenting your special day with beautiful photos that will last a lifetime. Experienced photographers have an eye for detail and light that allows them to capture truly memorable moments from each stage of the wedding—from candid shots during preparation to post-ceremony portraits and group photos with friends and family.
Decorating your wedding venue in Edinburgh is an integral part of creating a truly unique ambience that reflects your personalities and tastes as a couple. From lavish floral displays to simple yet elegant bunting or draping, you’ll find plenty of creative options for decorating your ceremony and reception venues from experienced local vendors.
Wedding Vendors in Edinburgh
- The Wedding Guru - Oskar
The Wedding Guru, Oskar Gilchrist-Grodnicki, is a highly seasoned wedding planner with an impressive track record of over 600 weddings since 2009. Oskar has covered everything from elopements in the Isle of Skye to grand affairs in London. His expertise extends beyond planning and coordinating weddings as Oskar is also a registered humanist celebrant who can perform legally binding ceremonies. Recognising his skill and dedication, he was recently awarded Wedding Planner of the Year 2022 by Your Scottish Wedding Awards and Wedding Planning Consultant of the Year 2023 by the Great British Wedding Awards. In 2021, he also co-directed the Edinburgh Wedding Directory with his husband George, further cementing his position as a leader in the industry and pioneering new standards for excellence in wedding planning.
- Love Wedding Photos And Film
Love Wedding Photos And Film are experienced wedding photographers in Scotland, with multiple awards and recognitions to their name. With over a decade's worth of experience between them combined, newlyweds can trust that they will capture their special day in all its beauty and emotion. They have an impressive artistic eye, coupled with a heart for storytelling that ensures each couple's story is told through beautiful images. Their relaxed, yet professional approach to candid photography ensures that couples can have natural moments frozen in time, creating memories that become more precious with each passing year.
- Beautifully Covered
Beautifully Covered is an Edinburgh-based wedding and event decor supplier. With over two decades of experience in wedding and venue decor, they stay up to date with the latest trends and offer guidance on how best to bring their client's visions to life. From helping find the perfect decorations to finding ways to make a big impact within a budget, Beautifully Covered offers an unparalleled level of assistance that can help create an unforgettable event. They understand that each couple is unique, and strive to provide them with a personalised experience tailored specifically for their goals and preferences.
Pros and Cons of Wedding Venues in Edinburgh
Organising a wedding in Edinburgh can be a wonderful experience, especially when done right. The city offers plenty of amazing venues and services which make it a great choice for many couples. However, there are some advantages and disadvantages to consider when planning your special day in this stunning Scottish capital.
- There’s a wide variety of venues to choose from in Edinburgh, including luxurious hotels, historical mansions, rustic castles or even outdoor locations that showcase the city’s beautiful landscape.
- The city offers a great selection of florists and catering companies that offer high-quality services.
- With several airports within easy reach, Edinburgh is easily accessible for everyone attending the wedding.
- There are numerous accommodation options for guests, so those who are coming from out of town will have no problems looking for a place to stay.
- Weather can be unpredictable, so outdoor plans may need to be reconsidered if rain is forecasted.
- Venues may sometimes require minimum guest numbers which could affect budgeting.
- Costs for certain services may be more expensive than in other cities due to higher demand during peak seasons.
- Parking during peak season can be hard due to traffic congestion in the city centre.
Tips on How to Organise Weddings in Edinburgh
Planning a wedding in Edinburgh can be an exciting yet daunting task. With so many details to take care of, it’s important to stay organised and on top of everything. To help you plan your big day, here are some tips to get you started on your dream wedding:
- Research wedding venues thoroughly: Start by researching different venues and deciding which best suits your needs. Consider the size, style and atmosphere you want for your special day.
- Find reliable suppliers: When selecting suppliers for catering, photography, flowers, etc., make sure you check references and reviews before locking in a booking.
- Create a budget and timeline: Determine how much money you have available to spend on the wedding and create a timeline with deadlines for each stage of planning. This will help keep you on track.
- Utilise online tools: Using online tools such as wedding planning websites or apps can simplify the organisational process. You can store all important information in one convenient place and access it anytime, anywhere.
- Make use of local resources: Take advantage of any resources available locally such as experienced wedding planners or vendors who specialise in weddings from the area. They may be able to provide invaluable advice on how to go about planning a successful event in Edinburgh.
Famous Locations in Edinburgh
- Holyrood Abbey Ruins
The ruins of Holyrood Abbey Church are a reminder of the turbulent history between Scotland and England. Despite its glory days in the early 13th century, the abbey’s fortunes changed when it became a pawn in the English colonisation of Scotland. The abbey was sacked and partially destroyed during Oliver Cromwell’s invasion in 1650. The abbey was never rebuilt but its ruins remain a popular tourist destination and have inspired many great works of art. Felix Mendelssohn wrote his “Scottish Symphony” after visiting the ruins. Today, visitors marvel at the majestic arches, tall towers and ornate carvings that remain from King David I's construction more than 800 years ago. The ruins tell a story of clashing cultures and provide insight into Scotland’s tumultuous past.
- The Scott Monument
The Scott Monument is an impressive feat of Victorian engineering and design, standing tall in the Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh. It was built to honour the life and works of Scottish author Sir Walter Scott, who passed away in 1832. The monument stands a whopping 200 feet and 6 inches high, containing 287 steps that lead up to its peak where visitors can enjoy a breathtaking view of the city. Aside from the statue of Scott atop the tower, there are more than sixty other statues of prominent writers, poets and philosophers adorning it. The exterior walls are also adorned with numerous beautiful inscriptions dedicated to Scott's life and works. Its Gothic spires and intricate carvings make this monument an unparalleled sight to behold, not only in Scotland but across all of Europe.
- Holyrood Park
Holyrood Park is a lush area of land in Edinburgh, Scotland encompassing a stunning landscape filled with natural beauty. It is home to some unique geological features such as the towering Arthur’s Seat, an extinct volcano looming over the park which has become an iconic landscape feature in the area. The park is also closely associated with the Royal Holyrood Palace which has a history spanning over 1000 years and was visited by many kings and monarchs throughout different eras. With its sloped ruins, mini lochs and rocky cliffs, Holyrood Park provides visitors with lots to explore and discover, offering breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside. It’s no wonder that this special location continues to attract visitors from all around the world year after year.