Belfast is a vibrant and historic city with something to offer everyone. Located in Northern Ireland, it has been a major Irish port since the 18th century, providing an important connection to the rest of Europe.
As the birthplace of both the Ulster Covenant and Titanic, Belfast has long been known for its historical significance in events that have shaped our world. It was also an early adopter of democracy in the United Kingdom in 1707 when it achieved self-governance from London. This spirit of progressiveness continues today as Belfast is considered one of the most diverse cities on the island of Ireland, with people coming from all faiths and backgrounds.
Today, its role in hosting events from conferences to music festivals makes Belfast a unique destination for people from all walks of life. The city features exquisite architecture, including the City Hall which is an iconic example of neo-classical design, while St Anne’s Cathedral is known for its Gothic Revival style architecture. Not only this but there are numerous venues available across the city suitable for any event or gathering including theatres, conference centres, hotels and performance spaces—making it an ideal location for organising both large and small-scale events alike.
Event Options in Belfast
- Event Design
An event design company can brighten up any space with artful decorations, special lighting, audiovisual equipment, rental furniture, etc., adding a unique element to the event venue. They can also help create custom backdrops or even graphic designs for invitations or promotional materials. This type of service is valuable in bringing cohesion to different aspects of an event while creating a memorable visual experience for guests.
- Audiovisual System Rental
Renting quality audiovisual equipment, such as projectors, speakers, microphones, etc., can help ensure that everyone at the event has an enjoyable experience. It helps deliver information clearly while also providing good sound quality for any kind of entertainment. By having professionals on hand, you can create an immersive experience for your guests with stunning visuals and sound quality.
Those who wish to document their event have the option of hiring professional photographers or videographers who are experienced in capturing big events with skill and creativity. Having these special photographs or videos also allows organisers to use them for promotional purposes in the future if desired. This helps capture memories from both an artistic and practical standpoint.
- Security Services
Professional security personnel ensure safety at events by monitoring people’s behaviour and keeping out any potential troublemakers or unwelcome visitors. They provide peace of mind that attendees will be taken care of throughout the event and help maintain order in case any issues arise. This helps reduce the stress for organisers who know their guests are safe from harm.
Event Vendors in Belfast
- Blue Moon Event Design
Blue Moon Event Design is a professional event design and production company based in Northern Ireland, with over 14 years of experience in the industry. They provide unique and inspiring events for a variety of occasions including weddings, corporate events, balls, and private parties. Their creative team is made up of experienced professionals from a range of backgrounds including interior and theatrical design, hospitality, joinery and electrics. With their extensive knowledge and a vast warehouse full of beautiful fabrics, furniture, lighting and accessories, they are uniquely equipped to bring any event to life.
- Neil Harrison Photography
Neil Harrison Photography is a Belfast-based company providing photographic services for clients across the UK and Ireland. With expertise in PR, commercial and art photography, Neil offers a wide range of photography services to meet each customer’s needs. Whether it be on-location events or performances, conferences, portraits, or any other project requirement, Neil is experienced in capturing special moments to create lasting memories. He works closely with local companies to ensure that the right images are produced and delivered every time. From conception to completion, Neil is dedicated to delivering quality results that exceed expectations.
- Beyond AV Ltd
Beyond AV Ltd is a renowned audio-visual supplier with over 12 years of experience, specialising in LED screens and audio-visual solutions for events, exhibitions, broadcast, retail and more. The team at Beyond AV prides themselves on their technical understanding of the latest equipment and services from leading suppliers such as DiGiLED, Avolites, Green Hippo, Blackmagic Design, L’Acoustic, DiGiCo and Midas, and Chauvet. They are committed to delivering a truly memorable event experience by finding the perfect audio-visual solution for each event regardless of size or location.
Pros and Cons of Event Spaces in Belfast
Belfast, the capital of Northern Ireland, is a renowned destination for a wide range of events. With its breathtaking coastal backdrop, vibrant cultural scene, and rich history, it offers an enticing setting for hosting various gatherings. However, it's important to consider both the advantages and disadvantages when it comes to renting an event space in this city. Below, we explore some of the potential benefits and drawbacks of choosing Belfast as the venue for your next event.
- Belfast is known for its relatively low prices compared to other cities in the UK. It offers excellent value for money when it comes to renting an event space.
- The city is conveniently located near London and Dublin with easy access to both airports. It also has a good rail network that makes travelling from the city straightforward and efficient.
- The stunning scenery of the city, such as picturesque parks or historical attractions like the Titanic Museum, provides a beautiful background for any event taking place in Belfast.
- The diverse cultural mix of Belfast offers guests an opportunity to experience a unique atmosphere during events or meetings held in this vibrant city.
- The mild climate of Ireland means that those visiting or attending events in Belfast can often enjoy pleasant temperatures year-round, making outdoor activities possible most times of the year.
- Due to the popular demand for venues within the city centre, it can be difficult to find available spaces at certain times throughout the year—especially around peak tourist periods or during holidays such as Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
- Whilst finding an affordable event space may be possible, hotels and other types of accommodation can be expensive due to their high demand from tourists visiting the area.
- Congestion within larger cities like Belfast is inevitable during rush hour periods which may disrupt travel plans.
Tips on How to Organise Events in Belfast
Hosting an event requires careful planning and preparation to ensure that everything runs smoothly. Whether it is a business meeting, a family gathering or a large-scale conference, creating the perfect space for the occasion is critical. Here are some tips on how to set up a successful event space in Belfast:
- Find the right venue: Research the best locations to host your events. Look at reviews online and make sure the location suits your needs. Consider factors such as accessibility, availability, budget, size of the room and amenities. Also, check if there are any necessary planning permissions or licences required before you book.
- Prepare the space: Ensure that there’s enough space for all attendees to move around comfortably and feel welcomed. Clear out any existing furniture or equipment if they are not needed, and fill up any empty spaces with fresh decorations such as balloons or flowers to create a cheerful atmosphere.
- Provide adequate facilities: To ensure that everyone enjoys their time at the venue, check that essential amenities such as Wi-Fi access, good lighting and air conditioning are available in sufficient quantities for all guests who attend your event.
- Secure safety measures: When hosting an event in Belfast, take extra precautions against security threats by hiring professional security personnel or setting up CCTV cameras in appropriate areas of the venue for added protection against any potential danger or disruption during your event.
- Look after logistics: Taking care of logistical details like food and drinks catering and transportation arrangements for attendees and delegates should be done well ahead of time so that everything goes off without a hitch on the day of your event. It is also important to have a strict guest list system established to avoid overcrowding at the venue during peak hours of attendance at the event.
Famous Locations in Belfast
- Ulster Museum
The Ulster Museum is a state-of-the-art institution which houses an impressive collection of historical and cultural artefacts. Highlights include the Armada Room, home to relics from the 1588 wreck of the Spanish galleon Girona; the Egyptian Room displaying Takabuti, a mummy over 2 millennia old; and the Early Peoples Gallery featuring the bronze Bann Disc from the Iron Age. Additionally, visitors can explore local history dating back to 1700, as well as exhibits on The Troubles and its aftermath. On the first floor, a selection of prehistoric stone tools and bronze objects such as the Malone Hoard, made up of 16 polished Neolithic axes found nearby, provide invaluable insight into Irish culture.
- SS Nomadic
The SS Nomadic, constructed in Belfast in 1911, is the last surviving vessel of the White Star Line. For over a century, it has carried 1st- and 2nd-class passengers from Cherbourg Harbour to larger ocean liners which could not dock at the French port. As part of its service, on 10 April 1912, it delivered 172 passengers to the Titanic. During both World Wars, it was requisitioned for military purposes before being turned into a floating restaurant in Paris during the 1980s and 90s. It was eventually saved from demolition in 2006 and brought back home to Belfast, where it now resides in Hamilton Graving Dock.
- Belfast Castle
Belfast Castle, built in 1870 by the 3rd Marquess of Donegall in the popular Scottish Baronial style, is a majestic sight perched atop Cave Hill. This grandiose piece of architecture was presented to the City of Belfast in 1934. Guests can explore the folklore and history of the area within the castle's downstairs exhibition and Cellar Restaurant. According to local legend, good fortune will remain with those who reside at Belfast Castle as long as a white cat resides there—an idea celebrated by nine unique mosaics, paintings, sculptures and topiary artworks dedicated to cats throughout its picturesque formal gardens.